Oatmeal Banana Pancakes (that also happen to be vegan & gluten-free!)
These oatmeal banana pancakes don't use any eggs.
"No eggs?" I hear you say? Well, you definitely don't need eggs to make yummy pancakes, plus- this recipe doesn't ask you to add any weird egg replacement- the banana and baking powder help make these pancakes light and fluffy! These pancakes are simple, quick to throw together and contain only 6 ingredients! They are free from dairy, eggs and gluten and with the omission of white sugar, oil and white flour, are a healthier alternative to traditional pancakes!
I've topped mine with blueberries and maple syrup. Personally, I cannot think of a better way to start the day off than with these yummy pancakes!
I've always been a sweet breakfast person, with my go-to breakfast favourites being warming bowls of porridge, yoghurt with fruit and crunchy & sweet homemade granola. Pancakes, on the other hand, rarely made an appearance at the breakfast table and were only really something that I enjoyed on pancake day (crazy right!?) But that, my friends, has definitely changed!
I love pancakes, and hope you do too (as otherwise, this blog post is completely pointless aha). These oatmeal banana pancakes are inspired by my love of banana porridge & banana overnight oats. So, sit tight and prepare yourself for some banana-y oat-y goodness...
First off, I must say that these pancakes went down a treat with my family today (although we definitely need to make more mixture next time!)
THE INGREDIENTS FOR THE OATMEAL BANANA PANCAKES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
You only need 6 ingredients to make these simple oatmeal banana pancakes.
2 very ripe medium bananas
80 g or 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
179 ml or 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
I've topped my pancakes with a handful of frozen blueberries & maple syrup- but please feel free to add any of your own toppings. My favourites are: peanut butter, hazelnut chocolate spread (homemade, of course), fresh fruit, yoghurt, honey, chocolate chips and varying flavours of 'nice cream'!
Now I think it's time for you to have a go at making them, don't you?
SIMPLE, STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING YOUR OWN HEALTHY, VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE BANANA PANCAKES:
PREP TIME: 5 MINS
COOK TIME: 10 MINS
NUMBER OF SERVINGS: 6
1. Add chunks of banana to a blender with the almond milk. Puree for around 30 seconds (or until thoroughly blended and smooth).
2. Next, add the gluten-free oats, baking powder, vanilla extract and salt to the blender and blend for about 1 minute (or until the batter is well-combined). Set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
3. When the 5 minutes is up, check that you batter is fairly thick. Then heat up a pan with a little coconut oil until hot and then add some batter for your first pancakes (around 1/4 of the batter at a time). (I normally use a ladle to add my batter to the pan as it helps to make a perfect round pancake... well, most of the time).
4. Cook the pancake for about 2 minutes, or until the pancake starts looking dry along the sides with little bubbles on the top. Gently flip the pancake over and cook until the underside is golden brown.
5. Wipe the pan clean and repeat (with more oil or cooking spray) until you've used up all of the batter!
6. Serve on it's own or with toppings of your choice & enjoy!
These pancakes can be frozen. Simply reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds- 1 minute.
NUTRITION: PER SERVING
fat: 1.4 g
saturates: 0.2 g
carbs: 16 g
sugars: 6 g
fibre: 1.5 g
protein: 2.6 g
salt: 0.14 g
I hope that you enjoy these as much as I do! Let me know if you give them a try!
Happy Pancake Day!!!