AQUAFABA GRANOLA (OIL-FREE)
Another recipe is ready for you to try and this time it includes a "secret" (or not so secret) unusual ingredient- aquafaba.
So, what is aquafaba exactly? It's the chickpea brine left in a can of chickpeas and can be used in baking to replace oil and/or eggs!
Now you might be thinking "that sounds awful", but I promise you, it's not! And if you don't believe me, why not give this aquafaba granola recipe a go and find out for yourself!
Aquafaba is a great alternative to using oil in granola (as it still makes it super crunchy!)
Nutrition wise, because aqaufaba as an ingredient in cooking is relatively new, its nutrition analysis isn't readily available. However, analysis that has been done suggests that chickpea-derived aquafaba contains about 3-5 calories per tbsp (but is not a significant source of carbs, protein, fat, vitamins or minerals). The benefits are that it is plant-based, naturally gluten-free, low in calories and can mimic the consistency of ingredients like eggs and dairy (for those that choose or need to avoid them).
This naturally sweetened granola is simple to make, requiring just 8 ingredients!
This granola goes well on it's own with milk (cows, soya, almond, coconut etc..). Or you could add it as a topping to your favourite smoothie, bowl of oats or simply serve with some yoghurt (dairy or non-dairy- whatever you fancy!)
If granola is your thing, be sure to check out my previous simple granola recipe:
If you do try this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and tag a picture #roothealthnutrition on Instagram. Thanks guys!
Now-enough of the chatter, let's get baking!
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES (ish)
TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES
Fridge: 1 week
200 g gluten-free rolled oats
3 tbsp maple syrup
40 g aquafaba (chickpeas brine, whipped)
30 g chopped dates
30 g apricots
20 g pumpkin seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash of salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160 C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Add the oats, pumpkin seeds, maple syrup, salt and vanilla extract to a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
3. Next, add the aquafaba (chickpea brine) to another mixing bowl, using an electric mixer to whip it up until loose peaks are formed. This usually takes between 5 to 10 minutes. (The aquafaba is used to replace egg whites and coats the granola, helping it to become crispy without the use of oil!)
4. Once the aquafaba is ready, pour it over the dry ingredients and fold together until the mixture is coated evenly.
5. Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking tray and spread out evenly with a spoon.
6. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes (or until golden brown). For an even bake it's best to stir the granola half way through and flip the baking tray around.
7. Once cooked, let it cool completely. Then add the dates (chopped) and apricots (chopped) and toss together. Now it's ready to be enjoyed!
The granola can be stored in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks at room temperature.
NUTRITION: PER SERVING (1 of 7)
Fat: 3.6 g
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Sugar: 9.8 g
Fibre: 3.5 g
Protein: 5.1 g
Salt: 0.08 g
- contains sulphites
- it's vegan
I hope you enjoy making the recipe!
Please make sure you follow me on instagram for nutrition and non-nutrition related posts, motivational quotes and recipes!
My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roothealthnutrition/
I would love to see your take of my recipe- so tag me on your photo using the hashtag #roothealthnutritionuk @roothealthnutrition
And don't forget to share and follow me (on here and on Facebook: fb.me/roothealthnutritionuk ) for more yummy recipes like this one.
#food #recipes #homemade #homebaking #veganbaking #plantbased #wholesome #experimentinginthekitchen #aquafaba #granolarecipes #oilfreebaking #nutritionist #nutritionistbaking #registeredassociatenutritionist #oatbasedrecipes #bakingfun #roothealthnutritionrecipes
Hannah Warn BSc (Hons), ANutr is an associate registered nutritionist based in Thornbury, Bristol. Contact her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with the voucher code 'ROOTHEALTH2019' for a free 20 minute phone consultation.